Thursday 19 July 2012

Learning about wood

This is the hurdle I made at Orchard Barn. I also learnt so much about basic carpentry as well as green woodworking.The hurdle is made from sweet chesnut and ash coppiced this year.
As we spend a large amount of time in the winter managing our hedgerows it was also the opportunity for us to learn more about coppicing , handling and storing wood.


The sweet chesnuts and hazels I planted 2 winters ago have begun to get going, It is hard work for them as I discovered when planting them lots of bricks and rubble where a building must once have stood.
The fence around them I made while clearing a nearby hedge although now tatty it has worked at keeping the deer,hares, squirrels away.  The fence has also been my motivation to learn more about natural fencing. Ironically the pressure treated poles we bought to stake the new fruit trees (we could not find a supply of sweet chesnut at the time) are already rotting at ground level.

No comments:

Post a Comment